What happens when you blur the lines between UTV, rally car and trophy truck? If you haven’t seen or heard of it yet, you get he Jackal. The Jackal was developed from a man who’s no stranger to motorsports, car building, stunt driving—Rhys Millen. Living up to its name the Jackal is long legged, light weight animal that essentially hunts everything.
Rhys Millen took his extensive racing experience and developed a lightweight 4WD buggy using a turbocharged motor and even added a rally-spec gearbox. For wheels Rhys went with the Method Race Wheels 401-R, which was developed for the extremes of off-road racing and to provide optimal handling and feedback for the driver. The 401-Rs are wrapped in Tensor Tires’ DSR 37” tires.
Rhys says, “This 37” Tensor tire is the same engineering that is in the 33” UTV version and 20% lighter than anything else out there. The UTV guys get to benefit from the buggy development because they are basically running the same tire in a smaller version.” The transmission is a SADEV 6-speed sequential flat shift with PTO AWD as well as a SADEV 2-way pre loaded adjustable clutch plate.
The Jackal's first outing was in the 2019 Baja 500 and Rhys entered it in Class 1 for a better road position. Without much engine or suspension development Rhys managed to finish 4th in his class and 20th overall. Pretty impressive, if you ask us. To learn more about the Method Race Wheels 401-R UTV Series wheels see below.
- The Method 401-R High Offset UTV Wheel paired with a Tensor Tire DSR 33.
- A proven winning combination. The pairing of the 401-R and Desert Series Race (DSR) tire line from Tensor Tire professionally mounted and shipped direct to your door.
- Developed for the extremes of off-road racing
- Width and offset provide optimal handling and feedback for the driver
- Solid A356 aluminum with T6 heat treatment construction
- Iconic 12 window design with debossed METHOD logos
- Reinforced inner lip provides extreme strength and durability
- Forged 6061 aluminum V.2 beadlock ring for greater strength and less deflection
- American made Grade 8 zinc-plated beadlock hardware kit included
- Super strong 1600 lbs. load rating
- Patented American Made Race Tire developed specifically for competition
- Proprietary nylon bias ply with fiberglass belted construction saves weight over steel
- Decreased weight unleashes all of the available horsepower from your machine
- Evolved closed tread pattern reduces drivetrain strain without reducing traction
- Superior steering response and decreased braking distance from flatter tread contact patch
- Increased number of biting edges for quicker acceleration
- Unique weight optimized ribbed protection for puncture prone upper sidewall
- 1600 lbs. load rating will support fully loaded machines
- 39.2 lbs.
Owner: Rhys Millen / @rhysmillenracing
Wheels: Method Race Wheels 401-R 15x5
Engine: 2.3L Ecoboost
Dry Weight: 2860 lbs.
Track Width: 87”
Wheel Base: 120”
Front Suspension: Double A arm 24” travel, 2.5” coilover, 3” bypass
Rear Suspension: Trailling link with triple radius rods, 26” travel, 3” coilover, 3.5” bypass
Front Differential: SADEV 2-way preload adjustable clutch plate type.
Transaxle: SADEV 6-speed sequential flat shift with PTO AWD
Tires: Tensor Tire DSR 37x10x15r
Fuel Cell: 41 gallons (6.5mpg)
We are currently looking for passionate, dedicated racers with the drive to win. Team members receive steep discounts on race products, dedicated factory support, eligibility to R&D new equipment and more! Click here: Method Race Wheels Racer Program